Lesson 13 | The trap of performance
Summary of key points
- The world teaches us that we need to perform in order to be accepted by the world. This causes anxiety and leads some to depression.
- There are many different reasons why we develop a performance mindset (with examples).
- The expectations we form on ourselves make it hard for us to follow God’s will.
- It also corrupts the way we see how we relate to God and how God relates to us.
- A performance mindset breeds competition, judgement, greed, envy, gossip and slander within Christian communities.
- We need to go to God and renounce the expectations and standards we have set for ourselves so that we can trust God with childlike faith.
Group reflection questions
- What did God reveal to you through today’s lesson?
- How do you feel after following the renunciation prayer in this lesson?
Download the PDF of the transcript here: Love the Lord lesson 13 lesson notes
To receive notifications of new posts from Teaching Humble Hearts, please subscribe here .